Fall Home Maintenance and Inspection Checklist
Semi-annual home maintenance allows you make sure things are working properly as your home goes through seasonal transitions. A walk-around inspection in the fall can bring to light issues that need to be addressed immediately while there is still time before winter. But it’s also a time to make sure everything is in working order – especially operating components in the home.
Oftentimes lists like this can add stress to homeowners already feeling a time crunch, so we want to offer some additional suggestions on how to keep your list short. With a little bit of time and advanced planning, you won’t feel the burden of seasonal house maintenance. And you can always count on Waunakee Remodeling to help you check a few things off the list.
EXTERIOR HOME REPAIRS AND INSPECTIONS
- Check the foundation for cracks
- Repair peeling or blistering paint
- Inspect the roof for missing or loose shingles
- Repair and seal driveway
- Clean gutters and downspouts
- Caulk windows and weatherstrip doors
- Remove and store window and door screens
- Wash window and door glass
- Clean clothes dryer vent exhaust
INTERIOR HOME HEATING SEASON PREPARATION
- Check or service heating system including filters
- Change batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Clean fireplace and chimney
- Check windows for drafts, loose frames, or racked panes (call us if you see any major concerns)
- Remove window air conditioners and cover outdoor AC units
- Check and reset GFCI outlets
- Inspect floor drains and make sure traps are filled with water
YARD AND GARDEN
- Plant spring flowering bulbs
- Drain fuel from gas‐operated lawn equipment
- Reseed patchy areas of the lawn
- Clean and store summer garden tools
- Drain hoses and shut off outdoor water valves
- Fertilize the lawn
- Prepare snow removal equipment
PORCH AND DECK AREA
- Check porch and deck supports, stairs and railings
- Clean and apply sealer to decks
- Cover and store outdoor furniture, barbecues, etc.
- Empty dirt from flowerpots and containers
Hopefully our Fall Home Maintenance Checklist can serve as a reminder for something you’ve been meaning to do. Taking care of your biggest investment is important! If something is too far gone to repair, we’d be happy to help you get it back in shape! We are a full service remodeling company with more than 40 years of experience working on Madison-area homes. We specialize in window replacement, entry doors, siding, roofing, gutters, gutter protection, kitchens, baths, basements, and additions. We also have a complete handyman and home service division to help homeowners with smaller projects when they just need a hand.
If you are looking for help, please visit our Contact Us page to inquire about our services.
First founded as a siding company in 1977 in Waunakee, Wisconsin, our company has evolved into a full-service interior and exterior remodeling resource. With years of industry experience in materials selection, design expertise, and professional custom craftsmanship, we’ve established ourselves as the premier remodeling company in South Central Wisconsin.